Thursday, February 25, 2010

Zola Jesus"Night"

And I thought I left my goth years behind me! I've been obsessing over this song for the past week, listening to it over and over again fighting the urge to paint my nails black. Though this song channels the reverbed synth drones from goths heyday, the songwriting of Zola Jesus a.k.a. Nika Roza Danilova has an incredible immediacy that's especially felt in this song. Pitchfork likes this song too, giving the track best new music. Their review though seemed like one of those pitchfork reviews that doesn't actually admit that they actually like the song. Whatever, I love it and her debut album The Spoils is worth checking out too. She recorded it in her bedroom and it sounds really fucking good too. Oh and she's a philosophy major at University of Wisconsin at Madison (good Tibetan studies program), oh and she's 20. bleh, what have I done with my life? "Night" will be the first song of her new E.P. Stridulum will be out in March.

"Night"

No comments:

Post a Comment