Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hum





"She thinks she missed the train to mars, she's out back counting stars." I remember hearing this line on the radio when I was like 11 as I'm sure anybody else that spent a good amount of time listening to 96x, our local "alternative" (hahahahahahahahahaha.......oh man) rock station. Since then I've long dissociated myself with about 98% of the music they play on that radio station, but by chance I stumbled upon this relic of a 90s band. From what I've read on the interwebs, Hum was the premiere Space-Rock band of the 90s. Since I love space and rock, I decided to check out their major label debut You'd Prefer an Astronaut (who wouldn't?). However, three songs in I was confronted with that very same line in the beginning of their only moderate radio success, the aptly named "Stars." Though I was weary to listen to any band I associate with my 11 year old self, I'm sure glad I did because I've listened to them pretty much nonstop since...oh...Friday? And you know what? I don't really feel like listening to much anything else. Hum's music is dense, heavy, and filled with feedback, but deceptively so due to the melodies and the clean nonchalant singing style of Matt Talbott. Admittedly, it took me a little time to get passed the way this guy sings, but once I did, I discovered the rampant references to all things space and science which is fantastic to say the least. Check out this almost forgotten band and I guarantee you'll drift off to space. Both albums are recommended.

You'd Prefer an Astronaut (1995)
hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?uzwijt1owjt

Downward is Heavenward (1997)

hxxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=R8LMDHHT

3 comments:

  1. jeremy! love the blog, I'm adding it to my blogroll asap! this is meredith g, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking it out Meredith, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of the best!
    thanks, man!

    ReplyDelete