Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sita Sings the Blues

I found out about this movie on www.metacritic.com, one of my go to sources for music and movies. Sita Sings the Blues tells the classic Indian myth the Ramayana in animated form, which parallels the end of a relationship taking place in modern times. Though most tellings of this story focus on the hero of the story, Rama, this version focuses on Sita, his devoted wife. Many of the scenes depict Sita singing the songs of Annette Hanshaw, which become her main vehicle of expression throughout the movie. I thought the movie was great and an incredibly original take on this story known to just about everybody in south and southeast Asia. Also, the animation is spectacular with several very cool, very trippy interludes. Not to undermine the movie itself, but one of the coolest things about it is that you can watch the whole thing for free online. You can also download it, show it, and distribute it however you please.

www.sitasingsblues.com

2 comments:

  1. One of my all time favorite little films..how could you not love it?????????????? My cousin, Meredith told me about your blog...and I will thank her and thank her again...a perfect combination of elements for me!
    love from center of the US- Kansas
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking it out! Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete